My goal: understanding/learning while getting specific tasks completed.
Live site: https://istfp.org/
SFTP: istfporg.sftp.wpengine.com:2222 username istfporg-kimr
Uses Ultimate Member to process payments, yet has code within extra-filed.php that adds fields to users. Want to understand this code and if it’s executing PHP outside of WordPress.
Goal: to make sure no surprises. Form an opinion about whether changes should be proposed. Suggested via email to spend no more than two hours on this site. Not mobile responsive. Business Pro.
https://tfpny.tfppsych.com/wp-admin/ username kimr
SFTP: tfppsych.sftp.wpengine.com:2222 user tfppsych-kimr
Subsite #2, Plan to stay in Classic mode unless you advise otherwise. Checking on schedule. Plan to launch Spring 2019 is vague.
4/15/19: Kim estimated 2+ hours on profiles, 8+ hours on theme dev.
Develop “clean/lean” profiles with minimal plugins. Current approach using ACF and modified plugin Genesis Portfolio. One of the profile pages in progress: https://tfpny.tfppsych.com/member/barry-tfp/.
PDLab site is 950 container. I would probably go a little wider like 1100 or 1200. I see Business Pro is 1280 wide. I’ll set up the MetaSlider that way and we can change it if needed. I envision a full-width background behind it.
- Upload to and display a pre-defined category of PDF such as CV (curriculum vitae).
Upload a PDF that will also display its own title or allow for a custom title to be input. Possibly use smaller images that are created on upload as visual teasers within page; customer actually asked if the first page of the PDF could show (I forgot about this when we talked Thursday). I think this could make the page awfully long, but maybe we show him what it will look like. Reference: http://www.waitsfieldvt.us/agendas-minutes/
- Hook in home page slider, to use MetaSlider widget. Or it can be placed first in home page as shortcode. Or theme may have a suitable widget.
- I’ve added 9 images that can be permanently used, or not, as the header may have some text. Other images can be temporary. We’ll discuss best workload split and approach Monday.
Regarding best method of implementing profiles: https://github.com/studiopress/genesis-portfolio-pro/issues/13
Between this site/install and ISTFP, set a preferred development approach so future potential offices can be a part of the ISTFP or TFPPsych network. May want to merge unless the very different approaches make it difficult.
Short-term goals/small projects this week or next.
Production site, classic: SFTP: lawsonsfinest.sftp.wpengine.com user: lawsonsfinest-kimr
(Staging site, block: SFTP: lawsonsfinest7.sftp.wpengine.com user: lawsonsfinest7-kimr — this is moot since I don’t have the custom fields in it.) Be careful in the live site, and I can make a backup before you begin work.
1. Add code to display placards within Taproom page under the fourth image “Packaged Beer in Stock.” I’ve asked their marketing person Alana to copy the placard image URL into a custom field in the beers page. I wrote the desired display code in the file Chameleon/includes/placards.php.
Editor: whether to use classic, block or either where sensible. Two column nature of site lends itself to blocks/columns except where press flows into two columns–could be done differently, and this is a custom post. Also, given that blocks can include PHP, maybe we can include in pages the seasonal “pieces.”
News, Press Releases–Custom posts
- The admin says it all.
- Authors input and dropdown.
- Press Release Weeks input and dropdown (newest at top).
- 2012 to current, 2007-2011 on different format, I’ll take care of styling; drop 2006 and earlier.
- Character set issues on older posts http://vt-summerfestival.com/news.php?year=2012
Show Schedule–can they be combined with News Press Release Weeks? When they enter the first GUID, the Results page changes to current year.
Sponsors–perhaps carousel at bottom of home. Or as is fine, too.
Pages–I’ll convert. However, some contain seasonal content which would be nice to swap in and out.
- Prize–has multiple pieces, only some seasonal
- Contact Page–add contact widget seasonally as sidebar or include/shortcode within body. If sidebar, break page to pull Directions out to separate page.
PDF Uploads–not needed, can be done from within the pages.
Action Icons–may lend itself to header right.
Nav Menu and Nav Archives can be handled normally through WordPress.
Is there a way to force WordPress to open external links in a new window?